What are moles and how they are formed?
There are many skin conditions which might look unusual but they are very common and harmless e.g. for most parts, moles, skin tags, freckles, benign lentigines etc. In this article we’ll get to know about moles, which is a very common skin condition.
Moles are usually black or brown in color and they can grow anywhere on skin. Most of the time, our skin tends to grow moles at an early age, especially in the first 25 years of life. However, it is completely normal to have grown 10-50 moles all over your body by the time you reach adulthood. The growth of moles varies from person to person, due to many reasons which we’ll discuss later in this article.
With the passage of time, the structure of moles may change and they can increase in size or change its color. There is also a chance that hair grows out of your mole, but that is nothing to be worried about. Some moles remain on your body for a life time, but some might disappear within time.
Formation of moles:
Moles appear when melanocyte cells grow or accumulate in large numbers inside skin layer. Commonly moles are not dangerous, but they are not always like that. Some moles are cancerous or hereditary that can be harmful for skin.
Let us explore the different types of moles produced on skin and their causes;
- Common moles: They can appear on any part of the body. There is a possibility that you had a common mole when you were born. People who have a light skin tone are more likely to develop these types of moles as compared to people with a darker skin tone. Also, the exposure to sun rays can produce moles on body surface.
- Congenital moles: These moles develop on skin of newly born babies and they vary in size. These moles are very hard to remove, and they can possibly turn to melanoma moles in future.
- Atypical moles or Dysplastic moles: These kinds of moles usually appear in the form of group. These moles could be dangerous and can turn into cancerous moles, so it is suggested to visit your doctor and get them removed as soon as you notice them.
- Halo moles: They appear on skin where there is a connected lesion. They can appear anywhere on skin in form of white pigmentation
- Spitz moles: Spindle cell moles or spitz moles are formed as a result of melanocytes. This kind of moles is not dangerous, and you can live with them happily, without the need to remove them.
- Dermal melanocytic moles: These moles are raised in structure and dark in color and can grow hair on them.
- Blue naevi: They appear on the face, back or hands and are dark blue in color.
- Junctional Melanocytic: These moles are usually flat and round. The color of these moles is commonly dark brown.
- Seborrheic Keratoses: This kind of mole appears on the body of older people. They could be oval or round and brown in color.
- Pyogenic Granulomas: This kind of moles occurs on the body as a result of an injury. This is a very rare condition and these moles are black or red in color and they can be easily removed.
Common causes of moles:
When skin cells grow together in form of a cluster and do not evenly spreadout, a mole occurs on that part of skin. These cells in a cluster format are also known as melanocytes, which produce the pigment that gives color to the skin. Anyhow, the moles may get darker with age, exposure of sun or in pregnancy.
Following are some common causes of appearance of moles over body:
- Many times, moles proliferation is inherited via your DNA. People get them from their parents or grandparents. You might have a mole on your body at the same point where you mother or father has it. This can run in your family genes.
- If you live in sunny areas and have more exposure to sunlight, then your skin is very prone to produce moles. The number of moles can be increased due to UV rays and people who do not live in sunny areas do not have as much moles.
- Sun spots are also mistaken as moles, but they are not. They are just temporary sun spots which can disappear within time, while mostly moles are permanent.
- Mostly moles for the best part are harmless. But you can also have moles due to skin cancer, they are different in texture and are known as malignant melanoma.
- In case you have excessive amounts of moles, then you should regularly check them to notice any changes in their appearance and texture.
- Moles can also develop due to excess smoking and drinking. These moles usually appear in older age. So, you should try and quit the harmful habits now, if you do not want to get ugly moles over your face or neck.
Symptoms of moles:
Normally moles are brown or black in color. However, moles come in variety of colors, shapes or sizes. Let’s find out further details about them:
The shape of moles is either round or oval.
Color and texture:
They can be black, red, brown, pink or blue in color. The texture of moles is flat, wrinkled, smooth or raised. And hair growing out of moles is also a possibility which is mentioned earlier.
The sizes of moles vary all over your body. They can be as big to cover nearly an entire arm (that is very rare or a birth mark) or as tiny as pinhead. Generally, they are less than 6 mm in size.
Moles can literally grow on any part of body like scalp, under nails, armpits or between your toes and fingers. You can expect them anywhere. However, they may change in texture or size with time. By the age of 50 you will have developed them completely. Some of them might disappear in that time. Hormonal changes during pregnancy or adolescence can cause your moles to get larger and darker.
Treating Moles with the Jett Plasma Pen:
Before any treatment is applicable on any mole, it must be checked first by a doctor or dermatologist. If the mole is only seen as harmless in nature and you can produce documentation from your dermatologist that the mole is okay to treat, then a treatment with the Jett Medical Plasma is well documented within the medical community as having a fantastic success rate at clearing this skin complaint up. Always insist you get the best possible treatment and make sure they are using the best device for the removal, Jett Plasma Pen.